Financial services salaries
What does it pay?
Want to know the pay for roles you are interested in? Use the drop-down to discover the national averages for salaries in your preferred job category.
Small companies: < ¥ 100 million, Mid-size companies: ¥100 million - ¥500 million, Large companies: > ¥500 million
Hiring trends in financial services
Hiring activity led by high-growth sectors
- Demand for financial services talent is driven by China’s high-growth sectors, including tech, media, and healthcare.
- Business expansion is increasing pressure to develop strong company cultures capable of attracting and retaining talent.
- MNCs are maintaining headcount with a focus on filling vacant roles while they also have a stricter hiring criterion which prioritises domestic market banking experience.
of Chinese CFOs believe Mainland China will have the strongest post-pandemic growth globallyi
increase in assets under management in China in 2020ii
Fund management expertise needed for global investment
- As new global players obtain licenses to run asset management operations in China, the asset management industry is experiencing unprecedented growth.
- To support expansion, demand is rising for local talent with portfolio and risk management expertise, and front-office finance roles.
- Senior positions, including the role of COO, are also in demand to set the business agenda for new market entrants.
FinTech drives demand for technical skills
- Demand is high for candidates with skills and experience in system implementations, system upgrades, data analytics tools, and AI.
- The FinTech industry has experienced rapid growth following COVID-19 as traditional organisations introduce new products and services, and new entrants emerge.
- Rapid development in the FinTech sector is fueling demand for compliance professionals to navigate the evolving regulatory landscape.
Here are 5 ways to upskill your finance team for a digital future
China has the highest FinTech adoption rate amongst consumers in the worldiii
How much should I earn or pay?
Enter the job title below to reveal specific salary ranges
Top roles in demand
- Compliance Manager
- Corporate Finance, M&A Manager
- Research Analyst/Investment Analyst
- Risk Manager
In-demand technical skills/qualifications
- IFRS 17 reporting
- Fund accounting
- Liquidity risk
- Language skills (Mandarin, English – verbal and written) for multinationals
- IT skills (Python, C+ BASIC, C, C++, COBOL, Java, R, Tableau, SQL, VBA, and Macro)
In-demand soft skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Stakeholder management skills
Hiring trends and insights
Perks and benefits
Understand how companies are going deeper than salary to attract and retain talent — and what workers want most.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
Learn how companies are fostering welcoming, representative workforces.